Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

Dex
You are not considering environmental components that exist in our natural world that affect top voltage. Humidity, atmospheric pressure. existing ion streams etc. as Bart said all affect top voltage.

Eliminate the complexity of a variable E field and accelerating charge and look at simple electrostatics.

If a VanDeGraff belt is charged at a fixed current and the charge is delivered to the top HV terminal, but the humidity is high and the charge leaks off faster than it is delivered the top terminal could be at zero potential. While an obvious simplification, the effect is exists for RF coils only it is more severe. We don't live in a vacuum or sulfur hexaflouride.
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science