Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Heart start Philips defibrillator

Jim, good question. My wife works exclusively with heart patients. She's been doing this a long time and is one of the best in her field. Although she's always telling me about the various rhythm's (and how some staff need to go back to school), I just can't keep up with her anymore (so I just nod my head in agreement). In our coiler case, we are concerned with a heart stopped due to an electrical shock. In a case where the heart is beating but in a poor rhythm, then "no CPR and no defibrillator" (wait for the ambulance). But if the heart is stopped, there is no breathing, and there is no response to CPR, then I would certainly say "use the defibrillator".

I think a defibrillator would be a great addition to any household (just in case). But it would be interesting if there are any doctors on the list that deal with heart patients and are up to speed on the latest data about these home versions. There are of course the situation where someone could use the defibrillator while the heart is still beating (this would be bad). I think if we ever get a defibrillator in this household, I will send the family to be trained (the American Heart Association and the Red Cross offer courses). The training would also teach them how not to shock themselves with the device.

Take care,
Bart