Re: [TCML] Heart start Philips defibrillator

Hi all,

With all of this talk of automatic defibs, AEDs, ect., I think
Peter, who is probably about the most qualified individual
on this list to comment in this arena, as he is an M.D as well
as a highly experienced and well versed HV enthusiast, brings
out a very good point. They are of little use unless someone
else, who is well enough versed on how to kill the power and
start the emergency response as well as use the auto-defib de-
vice, is present. I know that we have all been preached to to
always have a buddy present when playing with out sinister
toys, but the reality is more likely that we are usually alone
while we are conducting our "research". I am the only one
of my household that is highly gratified by watching the ef-
fects of high voltage so therefore, I usually do not have a
cheering audience while I am "playing". Every once in a while,
I do get a visit from other coilers who are within a 4 hours'
drive from me but 99% of the time, I am alone while I engage
in my beloved hobby. I'm reasonably sure that many others here
are in the same boat as I on this issue. I believe the bottom line
here is that we must take personal responsibility for our own
reasonable safety and not drop our guard in the safety issue of
this hobby. Of course, it becomes even more imperative that
we be very careful when engaging in these activities while alone,
although, on the flip side, there is the possibility that the pre-
sence of others can also be distracting.

Just my $.02,
David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Heart start Philips defibrillator

I have several functioning defibs but none are setup, ready to go. Obviously only helpful if a second person is present who knows how to turn off the offending power and start CPR and if no response then to get the automated defib pads on and follow the instructions. The manual (older type) can be used blind if no response.
VF will persist and be fatal but asystole may be more likely to recover.
My wife is a nurse who could use this I guess but much of my stuff is done alone. Perhaps I should rethink as some of my stuff is bordering on stunt work (particularly some unpublished stuff recently done with more planned). For the average experimenter, I doubt that it would be useful without a bit of training.
Peter
www.tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Mora" <wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 7:05 PM
Subject: [TCML] Heart start Philips defibrillator

Hello Group,

Has anyone on the list invested in a household defibrillator? Philips seems
easy to use though it is not cheap, around $1200 US. It seems to me that
with what we work with and for general household protection, this may be a
worthwhile investment.

As I understand it, a serious shock to the heart either stops it or puts it
in ventricular fibrillation, both hot a good after five minutes which is
generally how long emergency responders take.

Appealing to our Doctors out there, is this a worthwhile investment and can
the Philps possibly restart the heart that is in ventricular fib from a
serious shock?

Hopefully that never happens!

Safety First!
Jim Mora