RE: [TCML] Questions on grounding

Hi Joe,

When you say that "Right now, nothing is grounded to earth or electrical ground", this is REALLY bad!  The secondary base needs a ground connection.  If there is not a good, direct ground connection, the RF current will travel through your hot & neutral wires and wreak havoc with household appliances.

I agree with Bart's reply - that the secondary base is typically connected to the NST case, and that this case connection should go to a dedicated RF ground, not the mains ground.  For low powered coils, the mains ground is often used, but the definition of "low" is subjective.

Regarding the sparks discharging all around the toroid, this may be due to having a ragged surface on the toroid, so smoothing it out may help.  If the toroid is simply too small for the power level you're running at, no amount of surface prep is going to help, but yours appears to be reasonable in size.

Looking at your web site, I think the weak link in your coil is the 2 carriage bolt spark gap.  It needs forced air flow directly through the arc (more than just a gentle breeze from a fan), and should be designed to arc not at just a single point as yours will.  I recommend using a sucker gap, as it's easy to build and works very well.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA