Re: [TCML] Questions on grounding

Hi Joe,

Yes, power, absolutely. As Gary mentioned, the bolts are an obvious problem. They will heat up and you will see sparks start to fizzle out. This can happen pretty quickly. One thing you should consider is a hyperbaric gap which Dr. Resonance designed and has suggested many times on this list. All reports of this gap are good. Maybe someone who has built one recently will share some photo's. Muffin fans really don't help much (of course, any air cooling is better than none). As you upgrade power, the gap usually needs an upgrade also. A better gap design will improve the coils spark lengths more than anything else you do shy of adding more power.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/Hyperbaric-Spark-Gap.jpg

If adding an NST, you will need to phase them (really easy to do). Chris of The Geek Group has a video out which is "excellent" about how to do just this.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thegeekgroup

Take care,
Bart

jocatch wrote:
Hello. You suggested adding another nst. Funny you should say that because I do have another 12kv, 30ma nst somewhere! I just have to find it. So you think doubling the current will give me a noticable power output? Hmm.

Regarding my spark gap, the 2 bolts seem to work fine, for a while. After about 5 mins, they seem to die. I guess they are overheating. So I assume this is why they suggest blowing air on them?

Joe