From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Dr.Hankenstein
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:54 PM
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [TCML] Ballast -- Before or After Variac?

On Zotzilla I have a ballast resistor and choke in series with the pole
xfmr; as the source of voltage is from the main variac. In reality, I
pretty much use the variac for tuning purposes only. Then I run the coil
"wide open". After all, once your coil is properly tuned, you really
don't need a variac at all, do you? Us old ham radio operators typically
use this same procedure for tuning up our amps as well. With some of the
variable chokes now available(very easy to manufacture) that are
adjustable from less than an amp to nearly 100 amps, you really don't
even need a variac in the first place. These chokes amount to nothing
more than a large slug of laminated iron designed to slide in and out of
a large coil of wire. Chokes of this variety make a great current
limiter....and that's what we're after!

Hank