Re: [TCML] Tesla motors

--- On Fri, 7/31/09, Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla motors
> Date: Friday, July 31, 2009, 11:35 AM
>     Very interesting.
> Does the owner know the history of those motors
> [single phase, poly phase, or at least one of each?]?
> If polyphase how
> many phases? How can he prove they were made by
> Tesla?  Were they
> experimental units?  It would be really interesting to
> see the
> nameplates, if any; the oldest Tesla nameplate I've seen is
> the one the
> generator plate from Niagra Falls which Smithsonian has [or
> at least use
> to have] in its display of Edison stuff..  Do you mean
> to imply that
> there are also DC motors made by Tesla?  That's
> something new to me.
Going back to 2002 records I found an interesting thing with coordinated use of a DC motor to drive the arc interruptor, used in embodiment 2 of the patent, with my past comments following...
Actual patent in pdf should be accessible as
http://www.keelynet.com/tesla/00568176.pdf
What Tesla has here is a DC generator used to make high voltage,
high frequency. This was in 1896,perhaps before the more refined
methods in patents in 1897 onwards that actually used a AC generator.

Essentially what Tesla seems to be doing in this patent is to use the process of a DC induction arc as the substitute for an AC high voltage transformer to cause the rf bursts on the tesla primary. Embodiment 2 is especially interesting in light of the fact that the DC power to the motor driving the rotary arc gap is interupted to create the arc itself. This seems rather ingenious.
HDN