From: futuret@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2009 9:24 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] SRSG Rotor Mods difficulty

Phil,

I never use the dead pole concept when I modify my motors for
synch operation. I use the proportion method. For 1500 rpm
motors I use 4 flats at 0.25 as you mentioned. For example a
2"dia rotor would receive 1/2" wide flats.

For 3000 rpm motors I use 2 wider flats. If I remember
correctly, I made my flats 7/8" wide on a 2.1" diameter rotor
(possibly the rotor was 1.85" diameter). My memory is a little
foggy here. I think I have it written down somewhere.
I don't know if this width is optimal, but the motor gave
very good torque after it was modified and locked into synch
very nicely. It was a 1/10HP motor.

Cheers,
John