Re: [TCML] quiet spark gap for my DIY coil?

Hey Jon...

as far as having a spark gap being "quiet", the loudest is the single gap and the quietest is solid state but solid state requires a healthy understanding of electronics to create this type of unit. If you are looking to create something not quite so extrodinaire, the multi gapped copper tube system may just be your answer. I had designed and built such a unit and the noise factor was more of a hissing than the standard 2 point gap which sounds like mini explosions.... althoug the gap was "quiet" compared to the coils output, the combination was still loud enuf to possibly cause concern to very close neighbors ( apartment living etc.)

see this page for more on gaps...  basic info

http://members.cox.net/bunnikillr/sprk.htm

Scot D

Jon Iverson wrote:

I recently finished construction and testing of a basic 75- 100 KV Tesla coil. All went fine except the spark gap, which is simply a couple of stove bolts, is exceptionally loud and I'd like to find a way to quiet it. I want to keep this simple if possible. Can anyone recommend a cheap, proven way to quiet this spark gap?

Thanks in advance,
Jon