Re: [TCML] secondary windings burning?

Hey Mike...

the glowing action is due to the voltage "crossing" gaps in the insulation to the next closest wire. Unfortunately this results in burned insulation, secondary form, and coating. Other cases can occur when the coil is wound on the form and the wire can get lapped over an existing wrap and cause a "short" between those two windings. Did by chance did you see arcing running across or up and down the secondary itself? Secondary surface arcing is usually due to coupling problems between the primary and secondary ( normally it occurs when coupling factors are too high), also it can occur if the coating on the secondary wire is minimal or non existant.

When my coil did this I cleaned off the burned area with a dental pick to remove the carbon, then I applied Black Glyptol ( can get it at TV and Ham Radio repair shops) to the newly cleaned area, making sure the wire was not touching each other at the cleaned spot...you need to get the Glyptol between the wires...

Scot D

mike osipowicz wrote:

hello, I just finished my coil, but my secondary windings are glowing in some small parts, when its off it leaves little black spots on the magnet wire coating, any ideas?