Re: [TCML] A s.s. "ring bridge"

Hi Ken,

Good to see you're still thinking about this stuff!

Something this complex would require me to run the simulations myself to
really get all the details of whats going on.  But i had just a few concerns
anyway, which perhaps you already considered.  The main thing was with the
CM chokes, i was curious just how much current they needed to handle in CM,
and if this amount of current would impose some nasty consequences for
actually building something?  I realize they provide brief isolation, but my
instinct says this is a possible issue that may require some brute force.
Anyway, if a CM inductor is to have good DM (differential mode) properties,
it usually implies a gap-less core of ferrite or laminated steel so that
there is very little leakage between the 2 coils (that is, their mutual
inductance is large).  Now, this inherently implies that in the common-mode,
it cannot handle much flux in the core as an inductor, because the lack of a
gap.  Perhaps im getting excited over nothing...

Other than that, i must say its pretty clever.  I'll try to get it going in
my own simulator sometime and see what the real trade-off is for all that
extra voltage gained by the clever arrangement of parts.

Steve