From: Mary Jane Mansfield <mjm_oceanwave@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Re: Sculpture with Tesla coils
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:38:59 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for your questions and suggestions.

Gregory R. Hunter —
The installation will be outdoors. The TC's will only be activated during special events in the evening.
As for locating a TC of the desired performance before committing to the project;
I think this is a very good idea.

Jim Mora —
The polycarbonate panels are available in thickness ranging from 6mm to 25mm.
Your thoughts on a Faraday cage bring to mind another concern of mine. I am wondering what material the frame of the house should be made of. There will be a cement floor, therefor the house itself will not be grounded. I am feeling pretty confident that the center grounding post will keep the arcs from jumping to
the frame under these circumstances.
I am located in Minneapolis, MN. The grant available for this project is $5k. It is likely when I get a better grip on the overall budget that I will need to do some fund raising as well as coming up with some money of
my own.
A field trip does seem in order. Perhaps I could plan several stops along the way. As I get further into the planning phases I feel that this years grant deadline of Feb.13 2010 may be a bit premature for a realistic proposal. I have already begun a discussion with the owner of Franconia Sculpture Park and there is an interest there for this project. Some red flags have been raised concerning the safety and financial aspects associated with my idea that I am currently attempting to sort out.
I believe I am at the beginning of a very exciting project that is definitely worth seeing through to the end.
Best regards,
Mary Jane