From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of jimlux
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 6:28 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Sculpture with Tesla coils

Dex Dexter wrote:
> Wire mesh grounded cage wouldn't eliminate
> EMI completely for sure.
> More important is the elimination (reduction)
> of E-fields.Magnetic field,especially that of
> twin coil systems,dies away more quickly with
> the distance than E-field anyway.
> True,I haven't done analysis of all the details.
> Can you point to links or references with
> corresponding measurements we could see?
>
> Dex

It won't reduce the *AC* E-field very much, for the reasons mentioned.

I have some analysis buried somewhere and I'll dig it up.
There are some folks who have done measurements on a "caged" TC, but to
my knowledge, they were done for a commercial installation and are
proprietary information.

Yes, the magnetic field dies out fairly fast, but it's still significant
  (in terms of EMI/EMC) at quite a distance, especially for a largish coil.

http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopoffaxis.htm

Run some numbers.. For EMI/EMC you're worried about peak currents, not
like for safety, where you are worried about RMS.. So, start with
100Amps and 10 turns.

11:37:00