From: "Henry Hallam" <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:33 PM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Measuring Amperage in Neon Discharges.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Harvey Norris <harvich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Question; Can I simply put a common multimeter in series with a neon tube illuminated by a 30 ma current limited NST secondary, to record that secondaries amperage output?

Yes.  Obviously be careful and treat the meter as "hot", i.e. don't go
near it when power is applied.

Do I need a special digital meter to do this?

No, an analog meter may even be better.

...but where does the idea of a negative resistance occur, if these parameters show the the neon discharge resistance must be in thousands of ohms?

The "negative resistance" refers to the local slope of the V-versus-I
graph.  That is, for part of the graph, a small increase in voltage
results in a small reduction in current, even though the overall
current and voltage are both positive (and R=V/I is several thousand
ohms, as you note)

--
Henry Hallam

Sent from my Laptop