Re: [TCML] Resistant Spark Gap

Brandon Hendershot wrote:
I found a link someone put up on the list of site that sells brass balls for pretty cheap. I ordered a few for my spark gap and soon to come Terry Filter. The problem is, the gap needs to be half the size it was before in order to fire. Is it because the electrodes are now round and have less of a preferance of where to arc to? Or are they acting like a resistor on the high voltage?

Other things I've changed are the connecting wires and the screws since I needed bigger ones for the balls to screw on to. But I've checked the resistance with an ohmeter and they are the same... Any words on this?

Breakdown voltage is a function of the radius of curvature. It tends to something around 30 kV/cm of gap distance when the gap distance is much smaller than the radius of curvature, and to 30 kV/cm of radius of curvature when the gap is larger.
There is no resistive effect involved.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz