>From Big Clive

Would this help power a JL with MOTs? Clive - I hear your comments about
MOTs loud and clear - just asking

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: 01 February 2009 03:07
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

Could also consider a GM HEI coil trigger as was done with sparks gaps
in 2000 and 2001 (in place of the NST).
Bart

G Hunter wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> Don't mix NSTs and MOTs.  It's a formula for failure at best, and
destruction of your NST at worst.

> Your parallel idea, for example, will simply short out the NST output
across the relatively low impedance MOT secondary winding.  This will
prevent the NST from developing sufficient potential to start your JL, and I
have no idea what the MOT output will do to the NST secondary.

> I understand your problem--the NST can self-start a JL, but the wimpy
current doesn't make much of a display.  On the other hand, the MOT can
create an impressive flaming arc, but the JL rods must be almost touching
before the MOT will strike an arc.  With such a close spacing, the arc won't
climb.

> Have you considered a 4-pack MOT stack?  Four MOTs with their secondaries
in series will develop roughly 8kvac.  A 5th MOT can be used as a series
reactor to limit the wallplug current.