[TCML] FYI: Tesla Coil at San Diego Museum (IMAX building)

If you're in San Diego and decide to go see the IMAX at the museum complex,
you'll see a large "plasma bowl". But if you get down and look through the
glass  at what pushes it, you will find a Tesla Coil, with the main windings
horizontally mounted, and one glowing tube. I had to really look; it's an  811A.
There's a massive transformer under all that (probably the plate power
supply) and capacitors I am completely unfamiliar with.

This coil appears to run during normal museum hours. That's quite the duty
cycle.

Good to see old friends in unexpected places!

 -- David Small

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)