Re: [TCML] triac or scr choice

Dave,

It's already been done:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvMJBcx55Eg&feature=channel Coil uses a CM600 in the cathode circuit and operates very similar to a drsstc. I don't recommend using this configuration in "level shift" or AC mode as you will super-nova the IGBT instantly. Using an IGBT I have found it necessary to use full wave rectified DC (rather well filtered) as IGBT's don't like the AC component. I disagree with the statement : "A 10A device is capable of controlling a 10-20kV VTTC...EASILY" as the actual circuit falls under the classification of "cathode modulation" which by all rights half the plate supply would be across the plate tube and the other half  across the modulation device at 50% duty cycle...At 20kv you can expect the drop across the IGBT to be in the neighborhood of about 10kv!...not good for a 1.2kv device. You are correct in that (when properly done) the response time would be significanly faster than an SCR or Triac.

Looking forward to seeing your achievements,

Hank