[TCML] Primary Coil Copper Saving Idea

With the price of raw and finished copper still pretty high I've struggled with the idea spending so much on my next coil. An idea struck me (that's probably not original.) Why not use standard wire for the main section of the primary coil, then switch to copper plumbing pipe only through the tuning region? I've got various large gauge high-quality left overs from other projects. Without measuring I'd guess that 4 gauge is a bit small, but 2 gauge and larger might work. The wire would be more flexible and might require more support to maintain a radius.

What'cha think?