Re: [TCML] Topload design questions

I thought I'd share my findings so far on this topic.

I had been running the 12" toroid under the 18" (in contact) and was tuned to that setup. After raising the upper toroid so that the spacing was 6.5" on center (a clear gap of about 3" between them) it generated arcs from both toroids. The arcs from the lower toroid looked as if they were pushed downward and was hitting the strike rail often.

So it occurred to me that the two toroids need to be in close enough proximity that the upper one provides a sphere (toroid?) of influence that protects the lower one from breaking out?

I reduced the spacing to 4.5" on center (1" gap) and now only get streamers from the upper toroid. It was looking pretty good then tripped a breaker. I guess now I'll install the PFC caps that came in the mail today :-)
- Karl