Re: [TCML] X-ray cable best practices for feeder cable

In a message dated 1/9/09 6:26:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Power companies run high voltage AC underground all of
>the  time and they seem to be able to manage "unwanted
>resonances".

Actually the use of underground cabling increases  the capacitances
significantly and greatly exacerbates "unwanted resonances".  These resonances are
often excited by switching transients and lightning  strikes and definitely do
cause equipment destruction.
   As an aside, when I visited Holland I noticed that  there were NO
aboveground power lines anywhere. There were transmission lines  and towers, but
everywhere else, no matter how urban or rural, there were  absolutely no wires or
poles. And I went all over that country, from one end  to the other! Their
branch circuit wiring methods wee also very interesting.
If the rest of Europe is similar, maybe some of  our European members can
comment about resonance mitigation in coxial  distribution lines.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

headlines. (http://news.aol.com?ncid=emlcntusnews00000002)