RE: [TCML] Flaming Toroid Streamers

Given that alcohol burns with a pretty much invisible flame, I wouldn't expect that it would be too spectacular atop a Tesla coil.  But more importantly, it just seems like a VERY BAD IDEA to have a flammable, spillable liquid atop a coil.

I have enjoyed some spectacular (IMHO) colored sparks just using table salt.  Create a breakout bump atop your toroid using a small wad of wet paper towel, dipped in salt.  This works better with medium-high powered coils.  The sparks coming from the salty wad will be bright yellow for a significant length, further than I would have expected.  Be advised though that it does tend to spray salt dust, and you may not want that landing on your primary coil or other things.

I also experimented with using other metallic salts of lithium, strontium, and copper, but common table salt was the most brilliant.  Unfortunately I've never been able to satisfactorily photograph this.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA