Re: [TCML] fused variac

Hey Matt...

Seems that a quick fuse would be a wrong application in this manner due to turn on surge... BTW what gauge of wire is used on the variac core?? that will be the determining factor in amperage capacity. Another thing to consider is to apply a load that is within the parameters of the variac too ;)~ .

Scot D

mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi All,

?

Recently picked up a new-in-the-box, 125 V autotransformer rated 2KVA 0-140 V at a yard sale ($25 US). In checking it over I noticed that the fuse in it is a GSB10, which according to my catalog is?a fast acting?10A. Back when I was in school, 125 V X 10 A = 1250 W, not 2 KW. Does anyone know if they're they being overly cautious?or does it have the wrong fuse in it? I do have some GSA15 slo-blow fuses, but would hate to toast a brand new unit finding out. Any knowledgeable response appreciated.

?

Matt D.