Re: [TCML] NST Measurements

I agree Gary, for NST's, this isn't the answer. I contemplated loading prior to looking at equivalent voltages from the opposite side and my conclusion was that loading is necessary, but the problem is that the load factor is unknown and the input must be free of loading. I thought maybe there's a reactance issue in the windings themselves (without any good theory) that maybe equivalent voltages would reveal. My initial test seemed to say "hey, your onto something", but my measurements since say "heading down a dark path".

The winding ratio as based on Vin/Vout measurements seems good for "primary feed Vin" and "measured secondary Vout". Maybe this is the "right" way to do it. I'll go back through some of my data to see if numbers tighten up with measured turn ratios versus presumed turn ratios. If they do tighten up (current expectations, etc.), then maybe this is the only way to do it correctly (for unknowns). Obviously, manufacturer data is as good as one can hope without measurements to say otherwise.

Take care,
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
Since the HV side of the NST was tied directly to the mains voltage, I have no reason to think that I should be loading that with a resistor, as the rest of my house is already doing that.  Measured line voltage was 123.6V.

The voltage on the LV side of the NST without any resistive loading was 0.807V.  With a 1K load resistor, it was 0.804V, and with a 510 Ohm resistor, 0.800V.  So the predicted NST secondary voltage with a nominal 120VAC input varied between 18.4kV with no resistor on the LV winding, and 18.5kV with a 510 Ohm resistor (actually worse).  Weird.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA