Re: [TCML] Nearly First Firing

Ok, I just got an answer back from Tunewell and it turns out my transformer is only 8Kv @ 50mA! I will be adding the relevant caps to my MMC and hopefully the rain will stop so I can try for test firing 2 tonight! Hopefully with pictures or videos for you all to see!!

On 21 Jan 2009, at 20:20, Simon Dodd wrote:

Cheers Gary,
Its a conventional heavy core transformer as far as I'm aware. It is an old one and its very heavy!! The caps are high voltage ceramic caps from rmcybernetics.com

Thanks

On 21 Jan 2009, at 20:06, Lau, Gary wrote:

Is the NST a conventional, heavy core and coil transformer or a lightweight solid state inverter type? You need the core and coil type.

What kind of caps are these?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Simon Dodd
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:42 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Nearly First Firing

Hi Guys,

I went for first light this evening!! Unfortunately there was nothing!
My spark gap fires when there is no capacitor bank in place but as
soon as I put my MMC into the circuit and connect the main parts of
the coil, the spark gap stops firing :-( I am using a 10Kv NST with a static spark gap and 16, 20Kv 1000pf capacitors in parallel. These are
from the calculations on deepfriedneon.  The spark gap will fire if
the lead to the outer ring of the primary is left unconnected.

Im sorry its not too clear, I can do a quick diagram if you want more
info.

Thanks for your help again

Simon
--