From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jon Danniken
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:39 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Mot Help needed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Mora"

> I have 2 MOTS ready to submerge in a ammo box of transformer oil. It
> crossed
> my mind that I may have a phasing issue. Clearly, on the 120/240 feed
> side,,
> the winding on the inside needs to go to the other outer winding to series
> them for 240 volt op. I plan to do a FW bridge so I believe I have to
> disconnect the grounds at the cores. Do I have to take the output of one
> and
> tie it to the internal winding of the other as in the LV phasing? This
> will
> be stressful for both windings but I can't seem to get my head around if I
> can connect the two inner turns. In the least this would create a reverse
> mutual inductance if not null output.. In the scenario of traditional
> series
> both inner cores will see the full 2200v. I guess this is ok under oil?

If you're using four diodes in your bridge, leave the inner HV windings
connected to the cores, and ground the cores.  This will give you two HV
outputs which are opposite in phase and ground referenced.

You want to connect your inputs in series; use a 12V AC step-down
transformer fed from a variac (for safety and control), and feed your
primaries up to 12V AC while measuring the voltage difference between the
secondaries (should end up ~440VAC).  If you don't get the output you are
seeking, flip one of the primary connections.

Jon