Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Resistors

Hi Ed, Gary,

WOW! I think your right. That sure puts a damper on my multi-layer technique! Would work in multilayer mode, but if a 1K 1/2W carbon is measuring 184mH, then yes, all bets are off and a good lesson learned with the 27XT (and maybe any LCR).

Excellent test Gary!
Take care,
Bart

Ed Phillips wrote:
I also have a 27XT multimeter. If I take a 1.0K Ohm, 1/2W carbon comp resistor (i.e. NO significant inductance) and try to measure its inductance with this meter, it reads 184mH. I don't think so!

Bottom line - don't try to measure inductance of resistors with this meter!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA"

Measuring any kind of coil with this type of meter is sort of a gamble unless you know what you're doing - the measurement technique is quite an indirect one. Works OK with reasonable coil Q but not at all suitable for measuring the inductance of a WW resistor. To do that I'd break one and try to figure out the number of turns and then calculate it. I don't think even a good impedance bridge would give useful results.

Ed