[TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

Hey guys, my name is Stephen,  I've just joined this email group.

I work as an electrical Engineer and I've been playing with Tesla Coils and High voltage for about 15 years or so, and built a fairly powerful Tesla coil about 10 years that made over 1 metre (3-4 feet ) sparks.

It was just Neon Sign powered (I had 6 in parallel) and had a conventional spark gap, but it never performed as well as I would like. I fired it up the other night after dusting it off (it had been in my garage for a bout 5 years), and it performed dismally only getting about 1-2 foot sparks. I played with the spark gaps etc and got it performing a bit better, but nothing like it used to go.

I'm thinking that I'm wasting a lot of energy in my spark gap. in fact tow nails hammer into wood seemed to perform the best (quenching issues?) So I went online and after a while came across Terry Fritz's plan for a solid state spark gap, but his plan only seemed to be for a relatively low powered MOT tesla coil. (a few hundred watts)

I'm wondering if anyone who has had first hand experience with these solid state spark gaps (SISG) could help me answer a few questions * My transformers put out 15,000 Volts at 30mA each x 5 (or 6 if the fuse doesn't blow ;-) ) so how many will SISG's will I need * how reliable will his general design be with my coil. (obviously I will need more in series - but will I need to parallel them as well?? * Is there an easy way / simply formula to calculate how much current will be flowing peak? (800A or 8000A) - depends on resistance or capacitance or inductance? - I currently don't have an oscilloscope at home I can use. * How much power gets wasted in the reverse diodes - normally the voltage drop across a diode is 0.7 volts - so does that mean if I'm getting 1000A peak average in the primary I will be wasting about 700 watts as heat across the devices and possibly more depending on how many devices I have? or am I missing something? - this would seem worse than the conventional gap - but everyone seems to rave about the performance of SISG and DRSSTC coils. perhaps its about peak energy levels (not average) and then 700 peak watts compared to 15MW peak energy is not much?
I think I just answered my own question. ;-)

Sorry for so many questions, but you guys seem to like answering questions - and I've been enjoying the discussion - so hopefully I've added something more to chat about.

so to be simple - how easy will it be to scale his design (SISG) to my coil or will most components need to be upgraded.

Stephen