Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Resistors

Hey Terry,

piranha wrote:
It's a 1000 ohm resistor in series with an inductor. Feed it a sine wave at various frequencies and measure the current and maybe even the phase. With two points you should know the inductance. They don't make multilayer wire wound resistors ;)
It was a long shot (but it could be done <grin>).

One would have to drop on on the concrete to see about how it is wound but probably about 50mH.
50mH is way too big for single layer which is "why" I could only imagine a multilayer design, but then, I was using copper and should have considered other alloys.

I think Shaun's call to Ohmite did the trick! For the spec'd 100W 1K resistor, Ohmite showed 197uH (the one I was measuring this same resistor with the 27XT at 1000X that value). When Gary confirmed the ridiculousness of the reading with his 1/2W carbon resistor measurement on the same meter, it was clear "then" that "this ain't the way to measure L on ww resistors". I of course (just my nature) had to try to figure out how it could be done and still get the R value (multilayer is the only way with copper wire). But with the use of Nichrome, a whole new universe emerged and "then" the single layer high R and low L makes perfect sense.

Take care,
Bart