Re: [TCML] VTTC HP gate help Igbt?, was grid coil help, addendum

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I also don't have experience with the lastest types of
silicon devices.

It is possible to make a two layer grid coil if you want to.  I did that
on my large VTTC because I had limited space due to the pancake
type primary I used.  There has to be enough insulation to prevent
flashover between layers.

To make grid staccato work, the grid voltage has to be driven
sharply negative to cut off the tube.  I used a minus DC power supply of
about 400V, and applied this voltage to the grid through a
pass transistor, to shut off oscillation during staccato "off" times.
The staccato circuit board controlled this pass transistor.  One
problem I noted is that the turn-off or turn-off was not as clean,
and the sound of the staccato was not as solid.  I didn't look
into this issue because I switched to cathode staccato.
When the pass
transistor was "off", the staccato controller was basically out of
the VTTC circuit and had no effect.  The normal grid leak bias
of the VTTC worked in normal fashion.  In other words, a minus
voltage is needed to shut off the VTTC, but a plus voltage
is not needed to turn it on.  It turns on itself due to the absence
of the turn off voltage.  It's only necessary to apply, or not apply,
the negative voltage to the grid, to create the staccato action.
The pass transistors were susceptible to blowing out if the VTTC
output spark struck a ground.  I had to install a protective choke
to prevent that.  These were very early experiments as you can
imagine.  I liked
the cathode staccato because it didn't require the minus DC
voltage, and gave cleaner staccato control.  I only used the
grid staccato on my 16" spark TC, not on the higher power
systems.

I also tried a mechanical staccato system.  This used a motorized
rotary switch which interupted the cathode circuit.  I could control
the staccato rate by varying the motor speed.  This created interesting
effects.  I also tried using a mercury thyratron on my large VTTC, and
it worked well in place of an SCR, but is more complex to set up.
The mechanical staccato works well with a filtered DC VTTC also.

John