Re: [TCML] Sudden and unexplained destructive racing spark flashovers

I think that the source of flashovers due to over-coupling in classic coils
is a result of the very high peak power, where as in solid state coils, the
peak power is (usually) much lower, so a higher coupling doesn't give flash
overs. The exception is DRSSTCs, where the operation is very similar to
classic coils, and the peak power is much higher, so the coupling is usually
less.

In all solid state (non double resonant) coils I've built I've noticed
performance gets better as coupling gets higher, but there is a limit
imposed by primary to secondary flashover.

I've found your elevation estimates to be right on the money for every
> disruptive
> coil that I've built but I've noticed that solid state coil builders
> typically use
> couplings greater than your upper limits.  Have you seen the same thing in
> your solid
> state coil designs?

Cheers,
Jesse