Re: [TCML] My first coil, bigger sparks maybe??

Kinda sounds like your spark gap.Could just be Youtube sound quality but its not sounding too smooth.Don't waste your time with a rotary /neon combo. Wyatt

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryll f <darryll_forward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:30:12
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] My first coil, bigger sparks maybe??

Hi all,

I have just finished off my first coil and after its second run and playing around with the spark gap, primary tap point and making a smaller top load i'm not all that impressed with the output. Maybe i have missed something?

My coil is powered by a 10kv 30ma (240v) nst running a static home made gap together with terry filter and separate safety gap, the mmc cap bank is rated at 13nf and 21kv, the primary is 11 turns of 8mm dia copper pipe and the secondary is 3.25" plastic pipe with approx 1100 turns or 19" of 26 guage wire. All this is powered off a home brew control panel with 8 amp variac various kill switches, neon lights and gauges plus a line filter.

After the first run with a break out point to earth i am getting about 10" sparks max, i have used various software and got 30" predicted sparks.

I have not got the equipment to tune it so i'm going on the trial and error theory! I am thinking of looking at a rotary spark gap which might increase performance but i didn't know if there was anything else i can do in the meantime?

Youtube vid of last run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNvpI72Sj28

Please be gentle this is my first coil and six months ago i didnt  know a thing about them!

Any advice appreciated

Daz