[TCML] Primary coils

Dear Coilers,

     I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, but why is it that coilers use spiral primary coils? Other than arcing from the topload, is there a reason that the spiral configuration is better than just wrapping the primary wire around a larger base fit over the bottom of the secondary? I'm trying to build my first coil, and I'm not sure about how to make the primary. this isn't a necesarily large coil, so does the spiral add something that will help?Also, how do you find the capacitance of a leyden-type capacitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 Sincerely,
Joel Torgeson