From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Position of baffle inside secondary
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 6:10 AM

Hi Herr, all,

I have only experienced the HV tracking carbonization
of the inside of a secondary coil form once and that was
with an Information Unlimited BTC1 kit coil that I pur-
chased (I'm telling on my age here ;^), probably 22 or
so years ago. It was a small OBIT driven coil with an
appr. 3" x 12" secondary form, and the best spark length
that I ever got out of it was in the 6 to 8" range, so no-
thing big and spectacular in power or performance ;^\
Anyway, as I got more and more practical Tesla
coil building experience under my belt (learned mostly
through the school of hard knocks - this was before
the days of the TCML or even the Internet, for that
matter), I started installing internal baffles in my second-
aries. However, since my machining tools (and abilities)
have been pretty challenged, I have never been able to
cut out disc that made a perfect fit inside of the second-
ary form. Yet I have still never experienced an internal
flashover (to my knowledge) since that original incident,
so I am really wondering if the internal baffles are really
even necessary? That IU BTC1 kit was barely achieving
spark lengths of even half that of the secondary coil length
and yet it suffered the internal flashover. My large Green
Monster system typically produces spark lengths of 3X the
49" long secondary coil and although I did install 2 inter-
nal baffles, I can assure you that they are nowhere near
air tight fits, and I have never experienced internal flash-
over with this pole pig driven beast (external flashovers/
racing sparks - unfortunately yes, on occasions, but never
internal flashovers). Yes, I have used the silicone sealant
to seal around the edges of the baffle discs but I really fail
to see where that little 1/4" bead of sealant would stop a
HV spark that easily travels in the 150" linear point/point
range outside the coil.? Thoughts, anyone?

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quarkster" <quarkster@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:36 AM