Re: [TCML] Sonotube Preparation

Hi Tyler,

Well, though I'm sure that I will probably be flamed by
some for my response to your inquiry, "I" never had any
problems with external (or internal) flashover with my
sonotube secondary form (12" just like yours) and
this was the secondary coil form for my original pig-
gy power coil, "Medusa". All I did to prep it was to
let it sit outdoors all day in the full sunlight on a hot and
sunny summer day. Then I just applied numerous
coats of the helmsman spar urethane, about 2 or 3
layers to the inside of the tube (left the wax coating
in place). I also applied 2 or 3 coats to the outside
of the tube BEFORE winding the secondary coil on
it, although I don't even think this is necessary either.
After winding the secondary coil on it, I applied mul-
tiple coats until I could no longer feel the ridges in
between adjacent windings of the secondary coil (#16).
Anyway, I ran it for about 2 years w/out a single
internal flashover and it was just 38.5" long and was
kicking out 8 to 10 footers via a 9x30 toroid topload.
I didn't have access to a decent digi cam back in those
days (around 2000) but I did shoot some analogue
footage of it with my stoneaged camcorder and sent
a copy of the clip to Bart Anderson via snailmail, so
Bart could verify that I'm not making empty claims
here. ;^)

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyler Pauly" <rpggod714@xxxxxxxxx>