Re: [TCML] gold secondary

earl rhodes wrote:
hi
last year or the year before i posted about making a gold tesla coil ...remember?

im now ready to build it only thing is i cannot find enamelled gold plated wire i have found gold coloured wire but this wont cut it as far as im concerned
gold plated wire does exist for decorative purposes but no insulation on it :(

does anybody on this list have any idea where i could get this stuff made ?

Easy.. MWS Wire Industries in Westlake Village, CA. (http://www.mwswire.com/)

They can make anything you care to name, but various plated or clads are pretty standard. It won't be cheap, though, and there will probably be a significant lot charge, unless what you're looking for is a standard product. The way it's made is by making fairly heavy wire that is clad, and then drawing it down to ever finer sizes. I assume there are also actual plating or evaporating processes possible, but drawing is usually how it's done.

Semiconductor leads used to be gold plated (e.g. TO5 canned transistors like 2N404 or 2N1613) for solderability. I assume they still do it. I don't know whether they start with gold plated wire or whether they plate it after assembly.

In any case, MWS is where I would start.