[TCML] Re: First Light at New Location

Hi Dex,

The 120L50K is an old coil, relatively speaking, from 1990. It's used primarily as an experimental platform for trying out new ideas, so it's rather a patchwork of construction at this point. It has a number of original components and circuits that are no longer used, but remain installed in case they're ever needed again.

Nowadays it draws about 26kW from the mains at full gap speed. The gap speed is adjustable from about 80 to 350 BPS. The DC supply runs off 480V 3-phase mains. Fo is about 58.5kHz in the new location.

The arcs appear to be bounded by the floor and the roofing trusses in the new location, but max point-to-point arc lengths of about 24-27ft can be coaxed outdoors to grounded electrodes on elevated stands.

-GL

Dex wrote:

That's a monster coil then!
What's the power level of it,longest sparks,resonant frequency?

Dex