From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Lau, Gary
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:33 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Stranded/silver plated wire (was Scientific Method)

Are you saying that you use silver-plated STRANDED wire for secondaries?
Granted, AC resistance and Q are far less important on the secondary side,
but the notion of this wire being superior to common magnet wire is
incorrect.  Stranded wire is inherently more lossy at RF frequencies.  This
is because the skin effect causes current to travel on the outer surface of
the bundle.  If a strand on the outside of the bundle weaves to the interior
of the bundle, the current in that strand will try to find its way back to
the surface, and this means traveling to adjacent conductors, through any
resistive oxide layers between them.  This strand-hopping results in a much
higher AC resistance than if a single conductor were used.  This is the
reason that Litz wire insulates the strands from one another.

I am NOT suggesting that stranded wire is unsuitable for use in secondaries,
since secondary Q is not extremely important.  Clearly it works OK.  Just
that it's incorrect to suggest that the wire you use is somehow superior,
beyond aesthetics.  And honestly, I'm no longer even sure if you DID suggest
that it was superior.

As to your legal constraints, I would, putting on my moderator hat, insist
that you not drop any further references and teases to things that you are
unable to speak freely about.  You must realize that dropping such
unverifiable claims calls into question your credibility.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

We