RE: [TCML] noise & heat

Tesla coils are loud - that's just the nature of the beast.  Bigger coils _probably_ are louder, although it's hard to say, as larger coils are typically operated out doors or in large venues where their perceived noise level is less than in a small room.

If your spark gap melted, you've got a crappy gap.  In addition to self destruction, it's likely responsible for very poor performance.  Take some time and see what other folks use for gaps.  Forced air cooling and beefy electrodes that will quickly dissipate heat without getting hot are important.  The quickest solution is probably two parallel copper pipes, so that the arcing is spread over a several-inch region rather than a single point, and a fan blowing on it will improve performance beyond simply keeping it cool.  Getting the gap spacing right is critical and tricky however, and I like a sucker gap (http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm ) because it's very easy to adjust.

Did I mention that setting the gap spacing _correctly_ is REALLY, REALLY important?  Setting it too wide is what kills NST's and caps, even though it appears that spark performance increases with wider gaps.  The gap width must be set so that with just the NST connected to it, it just begins to arc.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA