From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of jimlux
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:18 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] 7.5V 52A Filament Transformer for 3CX3000 Needed

Phillip Slawinski wrote:
> DC,
>
> Pardon me, but that seems a little absurd.  I can think of many
> reasons not to do this.  To begin with the transformer would make a
> good power source for the tube in question.  Secondly if one were to
> do this, the transformer would be many times larger, and heavier than
> it needs to be.  If anyone has enough 7.2kV pigs to do this why
> wouldn't he just sell one to buy a real filament transformer?
>
> -Phillip Slawinski

"real filament transformers" are pretty expensive, new, and, as noted by

the original poster, are hard to find used/surplus/cheap.  Oddly, it's
probably easier to find an inexpensive pole transformer than a
inexpensive filament transformer.

That said, using a 7.5kVA core for an application needing 400-500VA or
so is somewhat overkill.  If one has them, a couple microwave oven
transformers might be a better starting point (yes, a typical microwave
is 600W, but the transformer gets pretty toasty.. I wouldn't use one at
500VA for continuous duty).  And hey, the MOT already has a 5V or so
winding on it.

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 15:43, DC Cox<resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you can't find one, you can do what I did:  remove the outer HV
winding
>> on a 7.2 kV pole xmfr, 5 kVA, then wind on some #6 AWG wire to make
your
>> own.
>>
>> Experiment with 10 turns of finer wire to get the turns ratio right,
then
>> wind on the big wire.
>>
>> Dr. Resonance
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Cameron B. Prince <
>> cplists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a 7.5V 52A filament transformer they¹d be willing
to part
>>> with?
>>>
>>> We actually need two if available. Please contact me off-list.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Cameron