Re: [TCML] Greg's input on inductance

In an ideal coil Terry is absolutely correct.  Ideals do not consider
thermal changes.

Unfortunately we do not have ideal coils.  In reality there will be a change
in freq enough so that zero crossover trigger point will dynamically change.
If you hook up your scope you can see the cross over point changing as the
component values change.  Let a solid state coil run for 3 minutes and
carefully log the zero point and you will see what I mean.

The more current in, the more power, and more heat.  Due to thermal
properties the cap value will change slightly, the inductance will change
slightly.  All these changes will change the res freq of the system, and
even this small shift will not affect a classic coil.

This small shift will definitely affect a solid state coil as it affect the
zero crossing point.  As the res freq is constantly changing then the zero
point crossing is also dynamically changing.  This can NOT be adjusted
dynamically with passives.  Unfortunately, you have to monitor the tank
circuit.  Prediktor circuit does NOT monitor the tank circuit --- only the
driver circuit.

We must also consider the drive circuit is a square wave and the tank
circuit is definitely not a square wave. This also leads to problems that
the prediktor circuit does not address.  You can not do it with passives.
You will get it close, but as component values shift a change will occur.

In an ideal coil it will work.  In the real world it will not work as the
component values have shifted slightly after 30-60 seconds of operation.
Now the zero point crossing will be different.
Active components must be used to control it, not passives as in the
prediktor circuit.

As soon as the temp changes a small amount the zero cross point will
change.

Solid state triggers require much more precision than normal classic coil
circuits.  Bad timing leads to tremendous heat buildup in the IGBT
components especially if the zero cross is not actively tracked.

If you do a nodal analysis and enter all the variables in you will see what
I mean.

Dr. Resonance