Re: [TCML] predicting phase shift

Yes and no.  You do have to worry about it in the case of DRSSTC circuits.

In the case of a classic coil if the frequency shifts a bit as power
produces thermal effects in the secondary coil, I agree, no problem.  The
spark gap jitter alone produces more off resonant
firings than any thermal freq shift in the sec coil as it heats up during
operation.

But in these DRSSTC circuits even small changes in the tank capacitance
value or in the thermal effects changing the resistive component in the sec
coil, yes,
the coil will slightly change inductance and hence frequency, especially
resonant frequency.  Firing at exactly the zero crossing point is critical
if you don't want to heat up
the IGBTs.

If the primary isn't firing very close to the zero crossing point heat will
be produced in the IGBTs which will lead to failure.  You can NOT do it will
passive components.  You need an active system to track the primary and sec
currents.

If you do a complex nodal analysis you can add in the thermal effects and
then you will see the zero point shift within the time domain.

Dr. Resonance