Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)

futuret@xxxxxxx wrote:
Jim, Dennis,

Interestingly when I compared a triggered single gap, to a
two-gap rotary, I got the same spark length in either case.
However the triggered gap produced a tremendous amount
of light and noise.  The rotary gave off little light or noise.
Apparently even with the tremendous light and noise from
the triggered gap, the losses were not much different than
with the rotary.  Both gaps ran at 120 bps, and were installed
into the same TC for comparison.  I had to set the gap spacing
at around 5/8" width, to insure that it would fire only when
triggered.  Apparently a wide spacing and a lot of light and
noise do not necessarily indicate high losses.

Sound, even very loud sound, doesn't contain much energy.
And, a 100W arc lamp is really, really bright.

So you can lose a not very large amount of energy in the gap, and it will be pretty bright and loud.

If you've ever seen and heard a BIG jacobs ladder (like the one at the Deutsches Museum) running many kilowatts, you'll get an appreciation of it.