Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Gound

Dex Dexter wrote:
How much peak voltage a normal 15kv,60 mA NST tolerates?
If the spark gap in parallel is set to fire at 18-20 kV the NST is safe without filter?

Dex

That's being a bit bold.. NSTs aren't really designed to run open circuit forever, so you're putting a lot of voltage stress on the NST for longer than the normal usage (where it's high when the tube isn't lit, but as soon as the plasma is established, the voltage drops to a few hundred volts or a 1000 volts or so). Add to this the inevitability of high frequency spikes, and running at the ragged edge is a recipe for short NST life.

That said, there's a lot of difference from unit to unit and brand to brand.

I set my gap so that it just fires with the primary disconnected, and I've not cooked a NST in a long time.