RE: [TCML] Oscilloscope methods for showing Ringdown

I think you're going to have a problem attempting to use the primary-side voltage to trigger the scope.  With a static gap, you're going to get many voltage peaks that come very close to the gap breakdown voltage, but don't actually result in a bang, resulting in false triggers.  And as you alluded to, having a physical connection to the primary can be hazardous to you and your scope!

I've never had a problem using a probe or wire capacitively coupled to the secondary field trigger the scope, and yield a stable display on a non-storage scope.  Only one channel is needed - nothing could be simpler, safer, or more stable.  There will be some jitter, as the static gap bangs will not all be identical in size, but you'll still see what you're looking for.

You scope DOES have triggered sweep (only sweeps following the trigger voltage exceeding its threshold), right?  If not, you would do well to get a 465...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA