From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] MAX SPARK FOR FIXED VOLTAGE
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:40:22 -0700

Dex Dexter wrote:
> Bert,I think you understood ,almost completely,my question.
> The essence of the question is giving higher and higher number of
> pulses per second WITH SAME BANG ENERGY to Tesla coil and see how
> spark grow.With quite a big topload capacity the peak voltages will
> be about same after each bang (actually they will decrease a little).
> At what PPS rate sparks stop to grow longitudinally given output voltage?
> 3000 PPS?
> 4000 PPS?
> 5000 PPS?
> More?
>
> There must be a limit for spark lenght given optimum HF excitation for each voltage level.
> To clarify my question to the others.
> My question is NOT power efficiency related.Since folks like numbers I'll give an example.
> If necessary use 100 kW DRSSTC and 10000 PPS to reach 10 feet with a big coil ,but with only ~100 kV output peaks.
> I'm quite certain spark of such lenght can't be produced with 100 kV,no matter how much power used.

Hmm. why are you "quite certain".. the questions you're asking are good
ones, but indicate that you don't have a background in spark physics, so
what you're really saying is "you have a gut feel, but can't back it up
with analysis".. which is just fine..

For myself, I don't know that I'd make a such a statement. I've seen 10
foot long sparks from a 60kV or so source (as have thousands of other
people at the Deutsches Museum), so clearly, with sufficient power, one
can draw an almost continuous spark that long (it's a big high power
jacob's ladder).  I've also done "drawn arcs" close to a foot long with
a 15kV supply, so I don't see 100kV 10foot arcs being out of the
question with the right setup.

http://www.luxfamily.com/travel/austria/images/dm2.jpg