Re: [TCML] Turn-to-Turn short circuit

I'm assuming you are talking about a single layer inductor? and the wires are all touching each other? and they are all insulated? (if not insulated then you will have to work out the insulation of air for the gap between turns that you have)

It depends on Voltage per turn (ie what is the final output voltage divided by the total number of turns), The insulation of the wire ie what voltage will produce a discharge through the insulation of surrounding each individual wire,
and how far apart the overlapped the overlapped wire are from each other..
eg you could have 20 wires overlapped if the over lapped wires are only overlapping one at a time and are all spaced far from each other.
but if all next to each other, then it may be problem

But saying this simply, if the Voltage per turn exceeds the wire insulation then you will have a problem ,but 99.99% of the time this won't apply.

regards
stephen

Matthew Stevens wrote:
If two of turns on a coil overlap, will it cause a short? I am using two
chokes I made from pens and wire as RF filters, and one (only one) of the
turns overlaps another. Just wondering if this would cause a problem, before
I put current to the coil!

Thanks!

Matthew

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3937 (20090314) __________