Re: [TCML] JAVATC - Question

bartb wrote:
jimlux wrote:
A coworker has an interesting graph from a recent (last 10 years) paper showing breakdown field vs gap, and it looks like field is inversely proportional to gap. That is, the breakdown voltage is constant.
Cool! Anyway to get a copy of that?

I asked him, and if he says ok, I'll post it.

Arc voltage, to me, is the drop across the arc, after it's already broken down and is in steady state. Basically the sum of resistive losses in the arc column and cathode drop.
I knew you were going to say that <grin>. Yes, your correct. I will be more descriptive in the future.

One other point I didn't mention previously with hyperbaric gaps is that there may be a tendency to stress the NST secondary winding if the gap is not adjusted properly under pressure. I don't think we've seen that yet (at least not reported), but it's certainly something to keep our eyes open for.

Take care,
Bart