Re: [TCML] 1 Mhz ,1 kw

Small high frequency coils have been built, but I'm not aware of something like 1KW. The only person I know who's built a large high frequency coil is Chris Swinson who was working on a high Q coil, but that was something altogether different.

Most coils in the 1KW range might hit 500kHz at most, but it's not usual to use such a large wire size and low turns as per the example I gave. Even though it's probably been done before, it's still new territory. There are of course possible drawbacks. Surge impedance is one of them. Due to such low primary turns, there is minimal impedance in the primary that may play havoc on the gap increasing losses, possibly some nasty transients back at the supply, etc. Another aspect is that energy transfer time is in the 4us range which is pretty fast. An identical geometry coil using 26 awg at 1100 turns (same .01uF cap size) would be in the 20us range (due to the need of more primary L to accommodate resonance).

It would be interesting to try it even if only to see how it reacts.

Bart

Dex Dexter wrote:
Thanks.
I'm aware that I'll be getting into various sort of practical and efficiency troubles there.

So I wondered if someone has tryed to construct something similar in the past and what were
the performance results.

Dex