RE: [TCML] 1 Mhz ,1 kw

I think it's important to understand the real reason (IMHO) that ARSG's _might_ cause NST failures.

That zero-voltage crossings can occur is not in itself a problem.  They happen all the time with static gaps.

The problem is when users don't have a properly set safety gap in parallel with the RSG, AND they have a speed control on the RSG motor and run it significantly below 120BPS (or forget to turn the motor on before the NST is on).  Under these conditions, yes indeed, mains resonance will cause the cap voltage to ring up to voltages that will damage the NST and/or cap.

But the solution is easy - ALWAYS have a properly set safety gap in parallel with the main gap, for when things go wrong.  The safety gap in a Terry filter (or the MOV's) will accomplish this as well, though I prefer to have a separate 2-terminal safety gap built right onto my RSG (see http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sync_gap.htm; it's a sync gap but same reasoning).  If one has a properly set safety gap, I don't believe that ARSG's are any more likely to damage an NST than anything else.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA